We are outdoorsy types. We really like spending time outdoors. After all, it’s the only reason why we live in Utah to begin with.
However, if you’re like us, you’re probably getting tired of using wall-wart powered LED lanterns for your outdoor activities.
They just don’t cut it. Here’s why:
They’re too dim and don’t last long enough. Plus, the sun will recharge them after it comes up.
They’re no good for reading. You don’t need to recharge them, but they’re dim and don’t last long enough.
The solar powered ones are useless. You have to leave them outside all night to recharge them.
Anyways, in this article, I want to review some of the best motion sensor lights for the outdoors.
1. LITOM 120 LED Solar Lights Outdoor
- Solar powered, no need to plug in
- Very bright
- Base and wires are waterproof
- Perfect for lighting your yard or garden
- Very easy to install
- Battery lasts for a long time
- Some complained about the charging capacity
- The charging time is a bit long
LITOM 120 LED Solar Lights Outdoor Security Waterproof Lighting 4 Pack (White) – Simple to install, it just needs 4 screws and has no wiring and is powered by solar energy. It automatically turns ON at night and OFF during the day. Each light provide bright 120 super bright LEDs. Each light comes with 3 optional modes: auto on/off (10 minutes ON, 20 minutes OFF), flashing and steady. You can set each light for any mode. A free charging cable, screws and wall plugs are provided for your convenience.
2. RAB Lighting STL360HBW Super Stealth 360 Sensor
- Easy to Install
- Runs on 4AA Batteries
- Motion Sensors Cover a Huge Area
- Sturdy Housing
- Difficult to Fine Decorative Style Batteries
- Shorter Nighttime Range in Low Light
The RAB Lighting LED Outdoor Super Stealth 360 fixture uses a CMOS sensor that covers a 360-degree range, which is hard to find in motion activated lights. It features 1,800 lumens of light and upon detection the light stays on for 100 seconds.
The RAB Super Stealth 360 runs on 4AA batteries which can last years depending on your settings. The sensor detects motion from 60 feet away and 160 feet in total darkness with a great range.
This unit is weatherproof and perfect for outdoor applications. It doesn’t have a whole lot of features and doesn’t come with the best light output for the price you pay.
3. BAXIA TECHNOLOGY BX-SL-101 Solar Lights Outdoor 28 LED Wireless Waterproof Security Solar Motion Sensor Lights,
- Energy Efficient
- Weather resistant
If your idea of a good time is lounging on you your back porch in the middle of the summer after the sun has gone down for the evening, you can imagine how frustrating it is when you have to get up frequently to go into the house to turn on the lights in the dark. These solar lights do the trick nicely.
The BAXIA Outdoor Solar Light is easy to install, and they are very versatile in terms of where you can put them. They can be set up on walkways, driveways, steps, and more. They can also be placed on walls or fences and are easy to install without using any tools.
With 4 LED lights and the most powerful solar panel design, these lights are extremely powerful as well as being energy efficient. They provide the right amount of light so you can see what you are doing at night, but they won’t be so bright that they keep you up like some porch lights.
4. Aootek 182 Led Solar outdoor motion sensor lights upgraded Solar Panel to 15.3 in2 and 3 modes(Security/ Permanent On all night/ Smart brightness control )with IP65 Waterproof
- Fits directly into your existing security light/ outdoor fixture with no disruption of any kind
- Uses no wires
- Not only do they have a motion-sensing solar panel but they also have a main switch that turns the lights on and off manually.
- They have a 5V USB charging port
- The lights work for up to 100K hours
- The new design is almost half the weight and volume of other lights
These small motion-sensing inserts are super easy to use. Just install the lights on your existing fixture, screw the insert into the fixture. Then aim the light up in the direction that you wish to illuminate and that can easily be changed if you are pointing it to much to one side.
Next, charge your lights for at least 8 hours in direct sunlight during the day, or you can place them in direct sunlight for at least 5 hours each day.
It is NOT advisable to charge them indoors. The lights use the sun to charge the battery. So charge them where they will receive direct sunlight.
5. JJC LED Security Lights Motion Sensor Flood Light Outdoor,30W(250W Equiv.)3000LM,IP65 Waterproof,5000K-Daylight White DLC & ETL Listed Outdoor Lighting
- The floodlight is purpose made to be mounted on the ground and is waterproof
- It is easy to install and adjust by simply tightening or loosening the screws
- This is a solid and heavy light fixture that sits on the ground due to the cord length
- Gets brighter as the motion sensor gets closer
- It provides an area of light covering 360 degrees
- Six piece wall mounting bracket included
- it is good value for money and it is easy to use
- Easy to install, and the light coverage is excellent.
- There is a lot of glare. May not suit all uses.
- There have been issues with the motion sensor in units shipping since May 2016. However, the vendor has been very proactive about getting it fixed.
- Installation is a little tricky, as there is only one stud in the wall, and the other two go though the electrical box cover. I had to remove the upper plate of the electrical box, and drill through the cover to get it to work properly.
This decorative light is a fairly basic flood light. It is motion activated, as is becoming common, so it does come on at night when motion is detected.
6. Super Bright 48 LED 1100 Lumens Max Wireless Water Proof Solar Lights Outdoor Radar Motion Sensor Light Aluminum Housing
- Impressive 1100 Lm Max Brightness
- Two modes of 180° floodlight and 60° spotlight
- It is inexpensive
- No wiring required
- Battery operated
- The motion detector is sensitive
- Spotlights do not come with many features
- Not very energy efficient
This motion sensor light can be used to illuminate a pathway and driveways, a deck or backyard, or stairs, garages and sheds. Light comes on automatically at night and turns off by itself.
The package includes 2 button batteries for immediate use. The package also includes a bonus 1-pack of batteries which will enable you to enjoy it right away.
The solar panel charges the batteries during the day so it always work when you need it.
7. 3 Head LED Security Lights Motion Outdoor Motion Sensor Light Outdoor 40W 3500 Lumens 5000k Waterproof IP65 ETL Motion Sensor Flood Light Exterior Security Light led
- waterproof IP65 rated
- great night lights
- security lights come in different colors
- motion sensor lights work at night when it’s really dark
- offers multiple light options according to your preference
- weather resistant
- LED lights are energy efficient
8. Hyperikon LED Security Light
- Motion sensor 130° angle
- Light up thousands of square feet
- Available at two different color temperatures
- Motion sensor setting can be customized
- Extends battery life by more than 50%
- Includes a 100% 1 year factory warranty
- Cannot be used indoors
- The switch is big and clunky
- Requires professional installation
- Beam intensity can be uneven
- Can be hard to install in the dark without reading the instructions first
Burglars don’t take a break, even in the dead of the night. To make sure you can see where you’re going at night use this adjustable motion sensor LED flood light with a motion detection sensor and a frosted lens.
Hyperikon’s outdoor floodlight with motion sensor can be mounted on any surface up to 13 feet away from the motion detector and has a sensitivity time of up to 15 seconds.
The motion sensor can be programmed on the fly, and the sensor beam angle can be customized to suit your lighting needs. The light operates as a dusk to dawn flood light for up to 150 days on a single charge.
9. URPOWER Solar Lights Wireless Waterproof Motion Sensor Outdoor Light
- Weather-resistant (IP65 rated)
- Solar powered and require no wiring
- Fully dusk to dawn sensor design
- The lights are very bright and ideal for outdoor use
- Optional flashing mode if you want it as a security light
- Easy installation with screws, stakes, and anchors
- Cheap life span is 20,000+ hours
- Waterproof and in working condition after it gets rained on
- Easily adjustable sensitivity
- LED light that saves a lot of energy
- A motion sensor light with so many positives does often get negative reviews.
- If for some reason one did fail many people say it is very easy to replace
The motion light offers coverage of up to 4500 square foot with a 180 degree detection range. The sensor is adjustable. Mounting is done automatically. And you need to set it in a position where you can see the light easily. Without any wiring required, the lights can last up to 10000 hours.
The automatic sensor can be adjusted to fit both indoor and outdoor needs. Set it to backlight mode, and it will only come on at night time which will save energy and keep it running for longer.
The light has a great range of coverage, since it is a lot brighter than other comparable products.
10. CINOTON LED Flood Light Motion Sensor Light Outdoor
- Great for outdoors
- Adjustable sensor works well
- Waterproof to IP65 rating
- Can be used on a stake or on the ground
- Easy installation in minutes
- 2-year warranty
- Can be noisy when the sensor picks it up
- Door needs to be opened before the light will turn off
The CintoTon is one of the best-selling outdoor security lights on the market and it’s easy to see why. It’s incredibly easy to set up; you simply lay it on its base or frame and pour some water into a reservoir. Then plug it in.
The CintoTon can be used on a stake or mounted on the ground. It’s built to be able to withstand the elements. The CintoTon comes in a standard color temperature of 4000 Kelvin, however you can order it with a 5000K color temperature.
It’s IP65 rated, which means it’s protected against water from all directions and won’t rust. The CintoTon is perfect for vacation homes, second homes, or as a primary security light.
11. 6000 Lumen
- Solar powered
- Turns on automatically at night
- Available in multiple sizes
- Energy efficient
- Higher in price than other options
- Requires wiring to house
- Motion activated
If you’re looking to set up a solar light system in your driveway or front yard, one of the most vital components you’ll need is a high-quality motion sensor floodlight.
The Cobalt Solar Series is an incredibly versatile and powerful solar-powered floodlight. It’s certified to withstand over 100 MPH winds, so it’s great for exterior use. Plus, it’s equipped with LED floodlights to give you over 6000 lumens of brightness.
It also has three different color modes: high white, amber, and red. The cobalt can do more than just detect motion, the light has a built in timer that works with a 12/12 hour off/on cycle to conserve battery life. It’s a solar powered floodlight that’s ideal for lighting driveways, backyards, garages, or in a work or truck.
12. Amico 39W 3 Head LED Security-Lights Motion Outdoor
- 3 lights for a broad coverage and bright enough to illuminate the whole yard at night
- Detects motion up to 33 feet and has 30 seconds to dim the light in advance so it doesn’t startle passers-by
- Full fixture includes 1 motion sensor, 1 flood light and 2 spot lights
- Waterproof and designed to be mounted both outdoors and indoors
- Easy installation in about 5 minutes
- Motion sensitive floodlights and security lamps for outdoors
- The individual fixtures are weatherproof and can be mounted indoors or outdoors even when the main fixture is on the supplied mounting arm
- Powered by battery and solar energy
- The light fixture itself has a mounting arm and mounting hardware that allows it to be mounted either on a wall or on the corner of a post
- Has two different modes: an off mode, where no sensors are on but the light is on; and an on mode, where the lights are on when motion is detected and then go off
Flood Light, Outdoor Lights.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best motion sensor outdoor lights?
If you have a dog or other outdoor pet, you’ll know how important it is to have outdoor lights. Unfortunately, with the proliferation of outdoor lights, the number of animals that are hit by cars increases every year. While I’ve never owned a dog that has made a habit of sneaking out of the house at night, it’s still something that would concern me if I did.
Motion sensing lights can be very useful in keeping your dog or other animals from wandering out into the street at night and getting hit by a car. If you own a pet, I think outdoor motion sensor lights can be an indispensable safety tool.
What is the best outdoor security lighting?
This depends on where you live and other considerations, but there are a couple things to look for when choosing the right outdoor security light.
I don't like security lights on timers for two reasons. Firstly because if no one is home then the light comes on at a predetermined time. That means that anyone inside your home when the lights go off is stuck there in the dark until the timer kicks back in. Secondly, backyard intruders have the luxury of knowing when the light will come back on. This means that they can stay out of the light and lie in wait until the homeowner arrives.
The smartest thing to do when installing a light is to have it triggered by a presence detector. This means that when someone walks or drives up to the house the lights come on and stay on until they leave.
How do I keep my outdoor motion sensor lights on all the time?
Unfortunately, most outdoor motion sensor lights only come on when they "see" motion. There's no way to make them turn on continuously, unless you install a separate lighting system. Whether you have the motion sensor on from dusk til dawn or not, you'll have to find a way to replace your security lights with something else if you want continuous lighting at night.
This is a widely-asked question. Knowing there's a lack of solutions available for this problem, we made it a priority to find a solution. Even though our design is patent-pending, we want to give something back to the community, so we're making a great deal on solar motion security lights available to everyone.
Are motion sensor lights worth it?
Motion sensor lights can be very handy, saving you money on your electric bill in the long run. They are best suited for use on your porch, so you don’t have to remember to flip on a light switch every time you come home. Motion detectors are also essential security features to have on your home’s exterior lighting.
When you are reading a guide about the best outdoor motion light sensor just a few minutes after your Amazon purchase is delivered to the front door of your home, you know you have made a (good) choice.